Ecotrust Forest Management's (EFM's) advisory practice is focused on helping landowners access new markets and new financing sources to support and enhance forestland returns, and on assisting tribal, community, and other conservation-oriented landowners with the identification, analysis, negotiation, and finance of forestland acquisitions.
Metric Tons CO2e Per Acre By Species
We can help you bring your carbon project to market, from the initial evaluation to execution of the carbon contract, to guiding you through the verification process. EFM has deep expertise in the emerging forest carbon market, with successful projects in methodology development and project development. We have strong relationships with forest landowners, project developers, buyers and brokers, verifiers and certifiers.
EFM has developed carbon projects on the properties that it manages for its investors. In 2014 we registered the first carbon project in Oregon and Washington on Moss Creek. Details are below.
Among other activities, EFM assisted Ecotrust in developing the first Improved Forest Management protocol under the Voluntary Carbon Standard. We also listed the first forestry project outside of California under the Climate Action Reserve on behalf of Ecotrust Forests, LLC. We have worked with numerous private and public landowners, including tribes, to understand, value, and monetize their forest carbon resources.
Our carbon advisory services include:
- Estimation of carbon under various forest management scenarios and protocols
- Timber/carbon optimization at forest and stand levels
- Development of carbon prospectuses and other sales and marketing materials
- Representation of sellers, including assisting with identifying potential buyers, analyzing competing offers, negotiating term sheets and contracts
- Project development, including drafting project documents, identifying verifiers and certifiers, completing listing and registration
- Assistance with ongoing monitoring and compliance
- Developing detailed forest management and financial plans for the project.
The Moss Creek carbon project is a group project that has been developed using the Verified Carbon Standard (VCS) and the associated VM0003 Methodology for improved forest management through extension of rotation age (IFM ERA) on EFM managed forestlands. The project description note is available here. Monitoring Plans for 2010-13 are available here.
EFM assists clients with identifying, analyzing, and purchasing forestland. Our advisory services include:
- Identification of forestland with financial, ecological, and locational characteristics specified by our clients
- Growth and yield modeling
- Discounted cash flow analysis
- Comparable sales analysis to explore management options and determine bid price
- Negotiation and closing assistance
- Financing and structuring services